FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions

Do you need to report a Public Works issue?

Please contact the Town Hall if you need to report a Public Works issue? Call (307) 782-3100 to report:

• Pot hole
• Water leak
• Damaged street sign
• Debris in the street
• Street light out
• Sewer blockage

Do you provide notary services?

The Town of Mountain View currently has three Notary Republics at the Town Hall. 

Please bring a valid ID such as a drivers license with you at the time of Notary.

Does the town offer recycling services?

Recycling services are currently unavailable in the Town of Mountain View.

For more information on additional recycling services please see the Uinta Recycling, Inc. brochure.

Hours of operation?

Monday through Thursday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, and Friday 8:00 am - 12:00 pm.

Our office will be closed to observe the following holidays:

  • New Year's Day
  • President's Day
  • Good Friday
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Columbus Day
  • Veteran's Day
  • Thanksgiving Day and the day after
  • Christmas Day

How do I find my polling place?

Most people who live within the town limits will vote at the Town Hall.

More information on polling places can be found at Uinta County's elections page.

How do I request copies of public town records?

This form is required to request copies of public town records. Please complete it and return to Town Hall for assistance.

PLEASE NOTE: There are administrative fees involved with this request.  See the fee schedule for applicable charges.  Fees will be assessed and charged at the time the service is completed.

Records Request Form

If I want to hook onto the Town's water/sewer, how much will it cost?

Water/Sewer Service - New Hookup

The Town has service connection installation standards that must be followed, inspected and approved before water service will be turned on.  Please click on the link below to see these standards and requirements.

Water/Sewer Service Connection Installation Standards

What are the fees for administrative services (faxing, copying, records request, NSF check)?

The Town Hall offers administrative services to the public for copying, faxing or request of public town records for set fees.  Here you will find the fee schedule for these services.

If you need to request public town records please complete the "Records Request" form in the next section and return it to the Town Hall.  Fees will be assessed and charged at the time the service is completed.

Administration Fees -resolution 2015-5

What are the road conditions like?

Are you going to be traveling thru Wyoming during the winter?  You can dial 511 on your phone to get the latest travel info. 

You can check the Wyoming road conditions online thru this link.

What does the parking and snow removal ordinance say?

What information do I need before building?

Permit applications are available at the Town Hall. You will need several items to accompany the application for review.

  • Copy of building plans
  • Copy of foundation plans
  • Copy of property setbacks

To view a sample of our building permit, inspection card, building permit fee worksheet, the water & sewer hookup fees, and other important information to help you through the process, click the permit packet link or call 307-782-3100 with any questions.

What is CodeRED and how do I sign up?

CodeRED is an Emergency Notification System, which allows government entities to contact citizens in the event of an emergency in their area. The system has several different methods of contacting citizens including traditional residential landlines, business lines, voice pagers, VoIP or digital "cable" phones, and cell phones.

The CodeRED Mobile Alert safety app delivers real-time emergency, community, missing person and severe weather alerts to users within the exact area of impact.

What types of payment do we accept?

The Town Hall accepts check, cash, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, debit card, E-check, and ACH payments.

Visa, Mastercard, Discover, debit card, E-check and ACH payments can be made on-line for your convenience.  (A $2.00 convenience fee applies to all credit card and debit card payments.)


When will the snow plows be dispatched?

After a significant amount of snow has fallen the town snow plows will be called out.  They will begin plowing around the school areas first and then move out into the residential areas.  Highways 410 and 414 are maintained by the State Highway Department.

If your driveway is blocked by snow after the plow goes by and you are unable to clear it yourself and need assistance please contact us.  We will dispatch a snow plow as soon as possible.

Please remove all vehicles (including travel trailers, snow/recreational vehicles, motorcycles, boats, etc.) from the streets to allow the snow plows unobstructed access.  If the plows have to go around your vehicle and it becomes plowed in you will have 24 hours to remove it.  If your vehicle remains on the roadway you can receive a citation for each day it impedes the snow plows.  If you're notified/cited to remove your vehicle and it still remains on the roadway it can be towed at the owners expense.

Where can I be fingerprinted?

The Mountain View Police Department offers fingerprinting services. Call (307)783-1000.

The fee for this service is $10.00.

Where can I register to vote?

You can register to vote at the Town Hall.  The necessary form is available at Town Hall. This form is also used for voter address changes.

The voting laws have changed as of July 1, 2022. Click here to view important changes.

For more VOTING information please call the County Complex at (307) 782-7432 and select option 2.

View the Voter ID flyer here

Where do I apply for a business license?

If you're providing services or selling goods within the Town limits you are required to have a business license for the Town of Mountain View.

Applications to apply for a business license are available at the Town Hall or you can complete and print the form from here.  An annual license is $35.00.  A temporary business license will cover up to 3 days for $5.00. This may be extended up to 6 days for an additional $5.00. A solicitor's license of $25.00 will cover up to 14 days and must be approved by the town council.

Forms can be brought to the Town Hall or mailed with the annual fee to:

Town of Mountain View
P.O. Box 249
Mountain View, Wyoming  82939

Upon approval the business license will be mailed to the address indicated on the application form.

Annual Business License Application

Where do I apply for a Town dog license?

Dog licenses are handled by the Town Clerk's office.

Mountain View Town Hall
405 N. Highway 414
Mountain View, Wyoming  82939

Fee for a lifetime license is $5.00.  Forms must be completed at Town Hall.

Please bring a copy of your pet's current rabies vaccination paperwork.

Where do I go to update my driver's license info?

If you need to change your address, renew your license or deal with any other driver's license related items you will need to contact the Wyoming DOT.

Wyoming DOT
555 County RD.

Evanston, WY 82930

(307) 789-2257

M-F, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm

Where do I purchase a hunting or fishing license for Wyoming?

Who do I call for a VIN inspection?

Your best option is to call dispatch and they will send an officer to your location. (307)783-1000.

The fee for a VIN inspection is $10.00.  

VIN Inspection Form

Who do I call for an animal control problem?

You can contact the Mountain View Police Department for animal control problems such as a stray, loose or vicious animal.

Phone: (307) 783-1000

We do not have an animal shelter in the Town of Mountain View. Any captured animal will be sent to the animal shelter in the Town of Lyman. You can contact the animal shelter if you are trying to locate a missing animal.

Phone: (307) 787-6500

Who is our State Representative for District 19?

House District 19: Representative Danny Eyre  For more information click on this link.

Who should I call if I'm going to dig?

t least two business days before you intend to dig, you should call One-Call of Wyoming (Dial 811 on your phone or 800-849-2476) and request the location of all underground facilities in the area of the construction or excavation.  Wyoming law requires underground facility owners to respond in two business days and to locate their facilities with marks on the surface.  After the locate, you may proceed with the excavation.  But remember, if you know there are facilities in the area of your dig, you may need to take special care not to damage underground facilities and this may sometimes require hand digging as a precaution.